Sunday, January 25, 2015

Listening, Speaking and Altruism (Self)

Just spent my weekend trying to have a conversation with my son who is distracted when in his school.  I think this is one of the most difficult task to do for any parent. I think I am able to communicate with my son.. but getting a point across is a tough thing. I have been trying to get his screen time to a minimum as it helps him focus for longer duration of time for his studies, otherwise he want's a break and have his screen time. I frequent www.ted.com and have an TED app on my phone. As you know there are lot of good minds who speak in these events.  ( links below are from www.youtube.com for the content published by TED)

So I did a bit of research and found that  
  1. If we can listen 
  2. Can speak in a way other will listen 
  3. Let altruism be our guide.. 
We will be lot happier, smarter and joyful in life.. 

Following are the 3 videos that I asked my son to watch and tasked  him to explain what he thought .. we did a bit of search in the dictionary to understand what words meant in the videos. I would say the following 34 minutes will be worth every minute of your time (Link in the bottom for meditation if you are interested in it)

1) How to speak so that people want to listen ( ~10 minutes)
   
2) 5 ways to listen better( ~8 minutes)

3) How to let altruism be your guide( ~16 minutes)




Health, Meditation, Depression, Weight loss & Skin Care